Sunday, July 27, 2008

Open this morning

Angraecum didieri is finally open with second blossom since I moved it to the tank in March, 2008.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Update July 26, 2008

Dendrobium moniliforme Hakuunrya (a true miniature Dendrobium) in bud. First time for me. Entire plant is less than 8cm tall.

Angraecum didieri with developing blossom - second blossom in two months. This plant went for nearly two years (blooming size) without a single attempt at a bud until I moved it into the tank under high light (1800+ foot-candles, for 12-14 hours.) Humidity is 90% minimum. Temps range up to upper 80s F. The pot is 7cm x 7cm (for comparison.) The nectary is longer than the plant is tall!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Tank update July 20, 2008

Here is Aerangis luteo-alba var. rhodosticta in spike as of July 20, 2008:

The yellow arrow points at the last two spikes, six in total. Hope they all mature.

Here is last December when I got the orchid:

This is the plant when it finalized its bloom. Just two spikes. Picture this with 6 spikes and many more leaves and roots!

Friday, July 18, 2008

Tank Update July 18, 2008

Aerangis citrata has three spikes now! Officially passing last year's growth spurt by one spike.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Tank Update

Well, Aerangis citrata now has a second spike. Pretty nice since the first one has stalled. This tends to be pretty common. It will eventually complete it's development, but the second one may overtake the first (also pretty common.) This is what happened last year as well.

The new Amesiella monticola (the replacement) now is starting to spike! More later.

Ceratocentron fesselii appears to have two new spikes developing, a first for this one.

Tuberolabium kotoense is also starting to spike. A first for this one as well.

The spike on Angraecum didieri continues to elongate. It usually speeds up development at this stage.

I made cuttings of several Jewell Orchids and set them in the same pots to increase the growing shoots.

Friday, July 4, 2008

Changes in the Tank

I recently replaced one of the Angraecum monticola. I have learned that plants that blast flower buds will never develop a good flower bud, so out it goes! The new one may have a developing flower bud. Time will tell.

Angraecum didieri is working on it's second flower bud since it's move to the tank. Appears it really covets high humidity and good light. I was providing the light, but too low humidity.

Added two more Dracula. Dracula posadarum (Columbia) and Dracula velutina Var. xanthina (Columbia). Based on my success with D. lotax, I assume these will bloom when the temperatures drop in the winter.